If your resolution was to stay healthy this year, this recipe can help you do it! Chef Jennifer Zirkle-Grawburg otherwise known as "The Ginger Chef" came to 13 ON YOUR SIDE to show us how it's done!
Quinoa Caprese Bake
- 1 1/4 cups uncooked quinoa
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 TBSP Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 5 large basil leaves
- 4 oz parmesan cheese
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella
- 3 Roma Tomatoes, sliced
- 1/4 in 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- salt and pepper to taste
- 5 oz arugula leaves, washed and dried
- 2 TBSP good Traditional Balsamic Vinegar (preferably 18yr or older)
- 2 TBSP good extra virgin Olive Oil
- In a small saucepan, heat evoo over medium heat.
- Sauté minced shallots and garlic for 1 minute until softened.
- Add uncooked quinoa and lightly toast for 30 seconds. Add salt and pepper.
- Add vegetable stock and cook quinoa uncovered for 15 minutes over low heat.
- Turn off heat, cover and let quinoa stand another 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Add balsamic vinegar, cherry tomatoes, basil, and Parmesan cheese to quinoa.
- Place quinoa mixture in a casserole dish.
- Slice mozzarella and roma tomatoes to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Alternately, line top of quinoa mixture with tomato and mozzarella.
- Cook in a 400˚F oven for 15 minutes or until mozzarella is bubbly and begins to turn brown.
- In a separate bowl, toss Arugula with good extra virgin olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Salt and Pepper to taste.
- Serve Quinoa Bake warm with Arugula Salad on top.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.