GRAND RAPIDS, Mich — When the weather gets cold and the wind starts to blow, we tend to stay indoors. Every winter, people skip out on heading to the gym or working out outside because it's too cold. Don't be one of those people. Kari Stuart shares some things to keep in mind to help you get up and outdoors this winter.
- Fresh air is actually good for you, no matter how cold it is. Breathing in fresh air and being outdoors improves your mood, so it can lead to more motivation.
- Find a friend or accountability buddy to meet up with you to work out. Two people working out is better than one.
- Invest in the right kind of gear. You might be really cold to start with, but as you exercise, you'll warm up. Make sure to dress for an outdoor workout as if it is 10 degrees warmer.
- Sign up for a spring event and create a training schedule. It's a great way to motivate yourself to stay active throughout the winter.
- Winter is a great time of year to switch things up. Try cross training, or doing something new. Use the cold and snow to your advantage and do something active you don't usually get to do.
You can learn more about why you should get out of the house this winter on Kari's blog.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.