Forty different local, Black-owned businesses will showcase their goods and services in the first Black-Owned Business Showcase at Woodland Mall on Friday and Saturday.
The event will feature booths offering fashion, food, shoes, staffing-recruitment agency, jewelry, cosmetics, skin care, hair care, licensed aesthetician, power washing, kitchen items, gifts, stationery and cards, financial planning, health and wellness items, photography, home services and goods and many more. Shoppers will be able to browse, sample, buy and connect during the day-long showcase, from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Benjamin Robinson, the owner of Robinson Popcorn, suggested the idea after mall officials asked what they could do to help celebrate his second business anniversary. Robinson Popcorn was launched in 2018, raising money by selling T-shirts door-to-door to open a storefront in Wyoming. He and his family make and sell a wide variety of gourmet popcorns, including a custom cheddar and caramel corn blend.
"This time is not about me, it’s about the whole Black community,” said Robinson, who operates a popcorn cart inside Woodland Mall. "Our vision is to provide a venue where Black-owned businesses can come together under one roof to showcase who they are and what they offer to our entire community."
"This has been a difficult year, with the pandemic, racial unrest, businesses closing and job losses. Many businesses are barely hanging on. This event will truly showcase Black-owned businesses in our community, and we appreciate Woodland Mall for giving us such a large and prominent platform to host this event."
Black-owned businesses and the products and services featured include:
- Handcrafted resin jewelry from Love Collections, LLC
- Custom cakes and treats from Likable Delights by Malika, LLC
- Cosmetics and makeup tools from Bodacious Beauty Cosmetics
- Kitchenware, stationery, cards and gifts from Shades of Shamar
- Health and wellness products from Tava Lifestyle
- Fashion eyewear from JOSO Designers, LLC
- Financial planning from Divine Changers Financial Education Service
- Custom shoe design and cleaning from Kwan Tsu Kicks, LLC
- Faith-based apparel from Style and Grace, LLC
- In-home delivery and assembly from Wades Services, LLC
- Specialty cleaning services from Key to Your Needs
- Licensed aesthetician from A’de Spa LLC
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.