It's an exciting time for basketball fans here in Michigan. The Wolverines and Spartans are both set to tip off in the NCAA Tournament this week.
But if you're planning on going to Detroit to see MSU or Wichita, Kansas to see U-M, there are some things you'll want to keep your eye out for. Attorney General Bill Schuette's office released tips for people looking to buy tickets.
- Know your vendor. If you purchase tickets online, make sure you are buying from a reputable website, especially before providing any personal financial information. Anyone can set up a "spoof" website and make it seem like it is the official website of a legitimate venue or ticket outlet.
- Counterfeiting is also a common problem on websites that function as online classified postings. When using such sites, consumers should be especially wary of tickets that are listed for sale "by owner," as these tickets are brokered by individual purchasers rather than official venues.
- Use credit. If you purchase tickets online, especially through an online auction site, it is recommended that you complete your transaction using a credit card. Using a credit card gives you the ability to dispute a charge for an event cancellation, or if you receive counterfeit tickets a venue refuses to honor.
- Shop securely. If a website begins with "https," the "s" indicates that the website is "secure" when you access the order page of the site where you are asked to enter your personal information. Another indicator of a secure website is an image of a closed lock located at the bottom of your screen. Secure websites take precautions to ensure that others cannot see and copy the personal information you provide.
- Inspect your tickets. Physically inspect your tickets if you purchase them through a third-party source. The venue may also offer feedback about unique features of authentic tickets. Examine the tickets for discrepancies, including text misspellings, official hologram omissions, and bar code irregularities.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.