OTTAWA COUNTY, Mich. — Authorities are investigating two separate cell phone store break-ins Tuesday morning, adding to the rash of robberies that plagued Kent and Ottawa counties last month.
The first happened at a cell phone store in Holland Township around 7:50 a.m., according to the Ottawa County Sheriff's Office. The store, which wasn't named by authorities, is on Douglas Avenue. Deputies say a passerby witnessed a vehicle leave the area and called authorities.
A short time later, deputies located the vehicle and chased it into Allegan County. The vehicle, which police determined was stolen out of Illinois, stopped on I-196 near 114th Avenue, where four suspects got out and tried to run.
One person was arrested near where the vehicle stopped. A second suspect went into a home in the Glenn area to hide from authorities, but he was found and arrested. By around 10:15 a.m., all four suspects were located and arrested.
On Thursday Sept. 5 the suspects were charged and arraigned.
- Tamar Demarcus Nobles, 17-years-old of Markham, IL. Charged with breaking and entering with intent, $25,000 cash
- Marcus Phillip McNulty 18-years-old of Dixmor, IL. Charged with breaking and entering with intent, $50,000 cash
- Jalynn Lamont Powell 18-years-old of Harvey, IL. Charged with breaking and entering with intent, $50,000 cash
- Charles Lipsey 18-years-old of Dolton, IL. Charged with breaking and entering with intent, $50,000 cash
They are currently being held in the Ottawa County Jail and could face more charges.
A number of electronic devices and cash were stolen from the store, which was recovered by deputies following the arrests.
The second break-in occurred at a T-Mobile store near 44th Street SW and Ivanrest Avenue SW in Grandville. The glass of the front door was completely smashed out when authorities arrived on scene Tuesday morning. It was not immediately clear if anything was taken.
Grandville Police said the investigation is ongoing.
It's not yet immediately clear if these incidents are related to the 15 other break-ins that took place in the month of August in both Kent and Ottawa counties.
Here's is a list of the following break-ins that have taken place:
Late Saturday, Aug. 10 into Sunday, Aug. 11
- A Verizon store in Caledonia Township was broken into
- A Verizon store in Lowell Township was broken into
- A Verizon store in Plainfield Township was broken into
Late Sunday, Aug. 11 into Monday, Aug. 12
- An AT&T store on 10 Mile Road in Algoma Township was broken into around 3:30 a.m. on Monday. The glass on the front door was smashed in.
- A Sprint store on Northland Drive in Plainfield Township was broken into.
- A Verizon store on Cottonwood Drive near Baldwin Street in Jenison was burglarized at 7 a.m. on Monday. The Ottawa County Sheriff's Office said $1,600 worth of phones were taken and a front window was smashed.
- A Cricket Wireless store on North Park Drive in Holland was robbed Monday around 9:30 a.m. Police do not believe this incident is connected to the others. A suspect walked into the store shortly after it opened, pulled a gun on the clerk and demanded money.
Tuesday, Aug. 13
- A T-Mobile store on Lake Michigan Drive in Allendale was broken into when a front window was shattered around 6:30 a.m. Police said it does not appear as though anything was taken because the phones were secured in another location.
- A Verizon store on Byron Center Avenue was broken into Tuesday morning.
Wednesday, Aug. 14
- A T-Mobile store on James Street in Holland Township was broken into. The front door was smashed out. Staff members are still working on the actual inventory loss.
Friday, Aug. 16
- The AT&T store at the Woodland Mall was broken into early in the morning. Phones, jewelry and clothing were stolen from the mall and later recovered. Three teens are in custody.
Monday, Aug. 19
- The glass at a T-Mobile store at the Shops at Centerpointe Mall was smashed Monday morning in an attempted break-in.
- The Cricket Wireless store on Alpine Avenue and North Center Drive in Walker was broken into Monday morning.
Thursday, Aug. 22
- The glass at the Sprint store on Health Drive in Wyoming was broken. It's not clear if anything was stolen yet.
Tuesday, Aug, 27
- A Holland Township Sprint store was burglarized Tuesday morning at 65 Douglas Ave. No damage, unclear if anything was stolen. Ottawa deputies found dozens of stolen cell phones in a stolen vehicle from St. Joseph County. Four have been arrested in this incident.
Late Monday, Sept. 2 into early Tuesday, Sept. 3
- A T-Mobile store in Grandville was broken into sometime around 6:20 a.m. Tuesday morning. The front door to the store was smashed. Authorities were not sure if anything was taken.
- A Holland Township cell phone was broken into around 7:50 a.m. No word on what, if anything, was taken. One suspect was arrested in Allegan County, but other suspects are still sought.
Other headlines on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.