GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Multiple school districts in Kent County announced Thursday and Friday they are making changes to their outdoor after-school activities due to the risk of Eastern Equine Encephalitis (EEE) in Kent County.
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) is encouraging local officials to consider postponing, rescheduling or canceling outdoor activities that are scheduled to happen after dusk, particularly those that involve children.
Here are the rescheduled or canceled events:
Cedar Springs High School
- Friday night's football game against Allendale is rescheduled for 5 p.m.
East Grand Rapids High School
- Friday night's football game against Wayland is rescheduled for 5 p.m.
Forest Hills Public Schools
- Forest Hills Central's home game vs. Northview, kickoff at 5 p.m.
- Forest Hills Eastern's home game vs. Grand Rapids Christian, kickoff at 5 p.m.
- Forest Hills Northern home game vs. Lowell, kickoff at 5 p.m.
Grandville High School
- Friday night's Homecoming football game against East Kentwood is rescheduled for 4:30 p.m.
- No outdoor Saturday activities are expected to last beyond 7 p.m., everything is happening as scheduled.
Kenowa Hills High School
- Friday night's Homecoming football game against Mona Shores is rescheduled for 5 p.m.
Lowell High School
- Friday night's football game against Forest Hills Northern is rescheduled for 5 p.m.
Ottawa Hills High Schoool
- The homecoming football game on Friday, Sept. 27 against Greenville is moved to Houseman Field and is now at 4:30 p.m.
- No Saturday activities are expected to last after 7 p.m.
Rockford High School
- Friday night's homecoming football game against Grand Haven is rescheduled for 5 p.m.
Sparta High School
- Friday night's Homecoming football game against West Catholic is rescheduled for 5 p.m. The parade is canceled and other activities have been moved in doors to the high school gymnasium.
- Friday's Homecoming parade has been canceled. The varsity football game against Wyoming will start at 5 p.m. with tailgating beginning at 3:30 p.m. Saturday's Homecoming dance will start at 7 p.m. at will take place indoors.
These changes come after officials released an autopsy report that said a Kent County deer was found dead with EEE.
Grand Rapids Public Schools district officials said they are also reviewing evening outdoor events scheduled for next week and will announce those changes soon.
The Kenowa Hills versus Mona Shores game, Lowell versus Forest Hills Northern game, and the Forest Hills Central vs. Northview game have also been rescheduled for 5 p.m. but it is not confirmed whether the changes are because of EEE.
- EEE found in Newaygo County horse
- John Ball Zoo monitors animal health after two wolf pups die from EEE at Binder Park Zoo
- Bug Off! Legislation would help townships fund the fight against mosquitoes
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.