CASSOPOLIS, Mich. — Around 150 people were on the sandbar in Cass County, many seen without masks and not following social distancing guidelines.
Video of a Fourth of July celebration in West Michigan is making national headlines because of how many people were seen partying without wearing masks or following social distancing guidelines.
Several fireworks and community celebrations in West Michigan were canceled, including the fireworks and parade in Grand Rapids. However, the celebration on Diamond Lake went on as planned.
Event organizers said around 150 people attended the event, which isn’t as many as usual. Despite COVID-19 concerns, organizers said they wanted to see “a sense of normalcy” in the world.
"It's something that some really enjoy and I think they really, really need, it's a lot of work for us for 25 minutes of pleasure and joy for the crowd," said organizer Aubrey Schrock.
As of Sunday, July 5, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services reported 65,876 COVID-19 cases in the state. The total number of deaths is 5,972. More than 52,000 Michiganders have recovered from the virus.
State recommendations for COVID-19
Patients with confirmed infection have reportedly had mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
The best prevention for viruses, such as influenza, the common cold or COVID-19 is to:
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider. If you do not have a health care provider, call the nearest hospital.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in a public setting.
More to explore:
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.