As coronavirus cases rise in West Michigan, a county health department is expanding its use of a digital tool to track the spread.
Kent County Health Department has partnered with CoherentRX, a Michigan software developer, to implement a digital tool called Patient Education Genius (PEG) to collect information from those who test positive for COVID-19 through a survey sent via text or e-mail.
KCHD has used this tool on a limited basis in the last few weeks, but it will begin using the program at a larger scale now as cases increase.
Once the department is notified of someone testing positive, it will send them the confidential survey. The survey is for anyone ages 18-70 years old. The department said in a press release, if a someone who tests positive does not fill out the survey, they will instead receive a phone call.
State recommendations for COVID-19
People with COVID-19 have reported a wide range of symptoms, ranging from mild to severe illnesses. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure to the virus, according to the CDC. The symptoms include:
- Shortness of breath
- Repeated shaking with chills
- Muscle pain
- Sore throat
- New loss of taste or smell
- Nausea or vomiting
*Note: This list does not include all possible symptoms. It will be updated as the CDC and health officials learn more about the virus.
The best prevention for viruses, such as influenza, the common cold or COVID-19 is to:
- If you think you have been exposed to COVID-19, call your health care provider. If you do not have a health care provider, call the nearest hospital.
- Wash your hands often with soap and warm water for 20 seconds. If not available, use hand sanitizer.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue or upper sleeve when coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- If you are sick, stay home, and avoid contact with others.
- Stay at least 6 feet away from others when in a public setting.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.
Have a news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org, visit our Facebook page or Twitter. Subscribe to our YouTube channel.