GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The John Ball Zoo reopened Tuesday afternoon after being evacuated due to a small gas leak near the front of the zoo.
A spokesperson for the zoo said the leak was caused by construction.
Staff, guests and animals were not in any immediate danger, but the decision was made to evacuate the zoo, officials said.
"If something does occur like today, what you are going to find is after the fact we will sit down and talk through it and say 'hey, let's look at how we did and then implement any changes we feel might be necessary,'" says one zoo official.
The zoo was closed for about an hour and reopened at 2:45 p.m. Admission was free of charge to citizens after the gas leak on Tuesday.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.