A 26-year-old Battle Creek man was seriously burned Thursday while making butane hash oil in his home.

Battle Creek police and Battle Creek firefighters were called to 133 N. 26th St. at 6:48 p.m. to investigate a reported explosion and fire.

Fire Chief Dave Schmaltz said they found the man outside with serious burns. Firefighters did not find an active fire but said an explosion in the bathroom of the single-story house damaged interior walls and an outside wall on the north side of the house.

The man, whose name was not released Thursday evening by Battle Creek police, was taken by LifeCare Ambulance to Bronson Methodist Hospital in Kalamazoo.

Police Sgt. Todd Elliott said it appears he was making butane hash oil, sometimes called butane honey oil or just honey oil or BHO, in the bathroom of the house when there was an explosion.

The material is made by putting marijuana in a container and pushing butane through it. The result is a thick wax or or honey that can be vaporized and inhaled for a strong high.

Elliott said it appears the butane used in the process collected on the floor of the small bathroom because it is heavier than air and was ignited by a spark or some other ignition source.

Police said the man was alone in the house but that his girlfriend was just pulling into the driveway and helped him outside after the explosion.

Elliott said it appears the man has a valid medical marijuana card but officers are continuing their investigation.

A city building inspector was called to the scene to check the damage to the home and determine if it was safe to be inhabited.