Breaking News
More () »

Police arrest some protesters as curfew goes into effect in Grand Rapids

Grand Rapids is under a temporary curfew, which starts at 7 p.m. and ends at 5 a.m. on Tuesday, June 2.

GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — Protesters gathered in downtown Grand Rapids on Monday, June 1. 

Both the Grand Rapids Police Department (GRPD) and the National Guard set up barricades downtown. The protest continued as the 7 p.m. curfew went into effect.


A curfew goes into effect at 7 pm and protesters are still in downtown Grand Rapids.

Posted by 13 On Your Side on Monday, June 1, 2020

Some of the police fired tear gas and non lethal rounds.  The remaining protesters were zeroed in on by groups of officers. Most people fled Fulton Street once the barricade started advancing.

Grand Rapids is currently under a temporary curfew, which starts at 7 p.m. and ends on 5 a.m. Tuesday, June 2. Anyone in violation of the curfew will be charged with a misdemeanor, which will result in up to 90 days in jail and/or up to $500 in fines.

Police used bikes to barricade the streets to stop the protesters from going deeper into the downtown area were most of the damage took place Saturday night. 

The protest started around 3 p.m. Monday. Police said it was not an officially organized event through the city. 

Grand Rapids Major Rosalynn Bliss was spotted downtown talking with some of the protesters. Bliss, City Manager Mark Washing, and Grand Rapids Fire Cief John Lehman are driving around the downtown area ensuring protesters are safe.

Grand Rapids Police Chief Eric Payne spoke to the media as the protest was ongoing. He told people he is willing to work with them but he wants protest to be organized and sanctioned events through the city. 

Spectrum Health said its hospital would remain open and all clinical staff are on duty. Patients with scheduled outpatient appointments Monday were contacted and made aware of the protest and possible traffic congestion, Spectrum said. 

Monday's demonstration is the second protest event in a matter of days and according to a release from GRPD, was not permitted by the city.  

On Saturday, a peaceful protest against police brutality and the death of George Floyd brought out thousands of people. It ended in violence and riots throughout the city. Rioters caused significant damage to businesses and city property.



Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.

Have a news tip? Email news@13onyourside.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter. Subscribe to our YouTube channel.

Before You Leave, Check This Out