GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. – Homeless shelters and churches around West Michigan are opening their doors and operating as warming shelters in the midst of a winter storm and extremely cold weather.
- Belding United Methodist Church, 301 Pleasant Street, Belding
- Ionia Armory community Center, 439 W. Main Street, Ionia
- Page Memorial Building, 839 4th Ave., Lake Odessa
- Lyons Township District Library, 240 E. Bridge Street, Lyons
- Saranac Public Library, 61 N. Bridge Street, Saranac
- First Congregational Church, 421 E. Bridge Street, Portland
- The Hub at 212 Main Street in Ionia
- If citizens are in need of overnight shelter to get out of the cold, they may contact the Ionia County Sheriff’s Office by calling (616) 527-5390.
- Douglass Community Association at 1000 W Patterson Street, open 24 hours on Tuesday and Wednesday
- First Congregational Church, 345 W Michigan Ave, acting as a warming shelter open from 8 p.m. - 8 a.m.
- First Baptist Church, 315 W Michigan Ave, acting as a warming shelter open from 8 p.m. - 8 a.m.
Shelters in Grand Rapids are extending their hours, and they're expecting more patrons to visit because of the low temperatures.
Kent County Homeless Shelters and Warming Centers:
- Alano Club of Kent County Club: Open 8 a.m. - 9 p.m. daily 1020 College Ave NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Dégagé Ministries: Open Monday through Saturday 7-11:30 a.m., 2-7:30 p.m., and Sunday from 7 a.m.- 2 p.m., and 4-7:30 p.m. 144 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Exodus Place(men only): Open Monday through Friday 7 a.m. - 5 p.m. 322 Front Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49504
- Gods Kitchen: Open Monday through Saturday 12:30-2 p.m., and Sunday from 2:30-4 p.m. 303 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- HQ: M 6-8 p for ages 20-24, M-TH 3:30-5:30 for ages 14-19, T/TH 12:30-2:30 for ages 20-24 320 State St SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503a
- Guiding Light Works: varies based on temps 255 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Heartside Ministry: Open Monday through Friday 1-4 p.m. 54 Division Ave S, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Mel Trotter Ministries: Warming center open daily 7 a.m. - 4 p.m., shelter is open 4 pm – 7 am 225 Commerce Ave SW, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Park Church: Open through Feb, Fridays, 10 a.m. -1:30 p.m. 10 E Park Pl NE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
- Peace Lutheran Church acting as warming shelter, opening at 5 p.m. on Tuesday until noon on Thursday. Anyone who needs rides should call 887-9417
- Westminster Presbyterian Church: Open Monday through Tuesday 9 a.m. - 4 p.m. 47 Jefferson Ave SE, Grand Rapids, MI 49503
For a full list of warming centers in Grand Rapids, click here.
- Muskegon Rescue Mission, Men's Shelter at 400 W Laketon Ave., Women's and Family Shelter, 1691 Peck St.
- Christ Memorial Church, Holland, open from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. as warming center. Open from 9 p.m. to 10 a.m. as an overnight shelter.
- Hope Church, Holland, warming center on Tuesday, Jan. 29 and Wednesday, Jan. 30. Open 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.
- Calvary Church in Holland Heights, warming center from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. from Tuesday-Thursday.
- Grand Haven Community Center, 421 Columbus Ave., is available for warming from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m.
- Maple Avenue Ministries, 427 Maple Ave., overnight accommodations and meals fro 9 p.m. to 9 a.m.
- First United Methodist Church, 57 W 10th St, warming center through Thursday with meals available 5 - 9 p.m. Transportation provided to facilities for overnight stays.
- Coopersville United Methodist Church, 105 N 68th Ave, warming center open Wednesday until 5 p.m. The church will be open from 9 a.m. until 5 p.m. on Thursday as well. Food, drinks, movies, and games will be provided for anyone who needs a place to stay.
If you know of another warming center, please email email@example.com with the name of the organization and the hours it will be open.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.