The man who police say aimed his rifle at an officer, prompting the officer to shoot the man, has died.

Lee Pat Milks, 73, died early Wednesday, March 29, from his injuries, according to Chief David Bachman of the Manistee Department of Public Safety.

In an earlier release, Bachman stated the officer involved in the shooting usually investigates abandoned vehicles and blight complaints. Police say that Milks had previously been informed that the old bus in his backyard needed to be removed, but the city had not taken any official action and there was no deadline to have it removed.

The officer was doing ordinance enforcement late Tuesday afternoon in the area of 2nd and Spruce streets when he came across Milks with a rifle in his hand, who ordered the officer to get away.

The officer called for backup, and Milks refused to put down his weapon, Bachman said.

Before backup arrived, police say Milks began to put a bullet in the chamber of the gun and started to aim it at the officer. The officer responded by shooting Milks; it did not appear that Milks was able to return fire.

"[Milks] threatened the office with it, made verbal exchange, the officer tried to diffuse the situation, asked the guy to go back into the house, he said no and he jacked a round into the chamber and when he jacked a round into the chamber the officer engaged him and it ended badly," Bachman told us.

Milks was taken to an area hospital, where he was stabilized, before taken by helicopter to a trauma center.

A neighbor says the bus had sentimental value to Milks because he live in it for a time in Alaska.

The case is under investigation by the Michigan State Police, with the officer involved placed on paid administrative leave.

The bus is a concern for police, has not resulted in tickets, fines, or any official city action.

Milks had a run in with police in 2005 for an alleged assault on a family member, but the charge was dismissed.

Court records related to that event says Milks had a collection of gun, and he kept them loaded.

A neighbor says Lee Milks lived at the home alone.

A relative of Milks who was cleaning up the broken glass at the home asked the community to pray for the officer involved in the shooting.

â–ºMake it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.

Have a news tip? Email, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.