GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The recreational marijuana industry in Michigan has garnered millions of dollars since retail sales were legalized back in December.
Since December 1, the industry has sold more than $17.6 million in marijuana flower and cannabis-based products.
The state's Marijuana Regulatory Agency reports last week, from Jan. 27 to Feb. 2, was the best week of sales so far, raking in more than $2.7 million.
The MRA provided this weekly breakdown:
Week 1 (12/1-12/8): $1,629,007
Week 2 (12/9/-12/15): $1,473,707
Week 3 (12/16-12/22): $1,603,613
Week 4 (12/23-12/29): $1,771,789
Week 5 (12/30-1/5): $1,773,002
Week 6 (1/6-1/12): $1,839,328
Week 7 (1/13-1/19): $2,590,547
Week 8 (1/20-1/26): $2,239,655
Week 9 (1/27-2/2): $2,779,304
The MRA says the retail sales have results in more than $1.7 million in excise take, $1.1 million in sales tax.
There are now 76 licenses issued for adult-use marijuana establishments:
- 43 marijuana retailers
- 1 class B marijuana grower license
- 17 class C marijuana grower licenses to 9 different companies
- 7 processors
- 4 secure transporters
- 3 marijuana event organizers
- 1 marijuana safety compliance facility
Here is a map of all the licenses:
In West Michigan, the marijuana industry -- recreational and medical -- continues to expand. Two recreational marijuana shops already operate in Muskegon.
The city of Grand Rapids announced late January that it will open applications for recreational pot shops on April 20, 2020 (which is unofficially and widely recognized as Weed Day).
Grand Rapids' first medical marijuana dispensary opened Friday, Feb. 7. The first recreational pot shop in Kent County is planning on opening up early in 2020.
More Marijuana News on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- Grand Rapids' first medical marijuana dispensary opens Friday
- Grand Rapids to start accepting recreational marijuana applications on 4/20
- AAA: Fatal crashes involving high drivers increases after pot legalization
- Grand Haven wants feedback on proposed marijuana ordinances
- Health officials urge against using THC vaping products after 3rd death reported in Michigan
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.
Have a news tip? Email email@example.com, visit our Facebook page or Twitter. Subscribe to our YouTube channel.