Bethany Christian Services is caring for immigrant children arriving in Michigan after having been separated from their parents at the border. At least 81 migrant children are being assisted by the organization's foster care program since the announcement of the Trump administration's zero tolerance policy.
What is Bethany Christian Services?
- Established in 1944, Michigan, Bethany Christian Services is a global nonprofit organization with an aim of strengthening families for the well-being of children.
- Services provided by the organization include foster care, pregnancy counseling and adoption.
- Located in 36 states across the nation and other places outside of the country, there are currently 17 locations in Michigan. The organization is based in Grand Rapids.
How are they helping migrant children in Michigan?
- Bethany Christian Services is currently assisting displaced children in Michigan by placing them in its foster care programs throughout the state.
- The children are being sent to Michigan because that's where Bethany Christian Services has its transitional foster care program. The group talks with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services for foster care of the children.
- While the number of migrant children sent to Michigan isn't clear, Bethany Christian Services told the Free Press that the number of children admitted is increasing.
How to help
Instructions on how to donations to Bethany Christian Services can be found here.
Do you know where migrant children are being housed in Michigan? Send any tips to Tresa Baldas at email@example.com or call 313-223-4296.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.