MESICK, Mich. — (AP) - A northern Michigan man has been charged with involuntary manslaughter in the September death of his 8-week-old son.
Wexford County prosecutors charged 24-year-old Tyler Russell of Mesick on Thursday during his arraignment in the 84th District Court in Cadillac. He faces one count each of involuntary manslaughter and child abuse first degree.
The charges follow a lengthy investigation into the Sept. 28 death of Xavier Russell.
State troopers found the infant unresponsive at a home in Mesick and he died later at a Traverse City hospital.
An autopsy found his manner of death to be homicide caused by acute brain and spinal injuries.
MORE on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- AG: Seven priests charged with abuse in 2019 and more to come
- Affidavit: Man fatally poisoned 9-year-old girl with chloroform while trying to sexually assault her
- Alabama youth pastor sentenced to over 1,000 years for sex abuse
- Man convicted of breaking dozens of his daughter's bones gets prison time
- Montcalm County teen sentenced to prison for 3-month-old son's death
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.