FRUITPORT, Mich. - State, local and federal agencies arrested Dayvon Davis, 21—the man accused of shooting a Muskegon Heights police officer on July 6. 

Davis was arraigned in Muskegon County's 60th District Court late Tuesday afternoon. He is facing numerous felony charges, but the most serious is assault with intent to do great bodily harm. Prosecutors expect to charge assault with intent to murder following a preliminary hearing. 

According to Muskegon Heights Police Chief Joseph Thomas, Davis was arrested without incident at a parking lot of a business at Airline Highway and E Hile Road in Fruitport Township. Police said Davis was in the back seat of a vehicle, shirtless, and wearing body armor. Thomas says Davis had ammunition in a pocket, a 9-millimeter pistol was located in the vehicle. 

Police also took another person into custody at the site to be questioned. 

He was arrested using the handcuffs belonging to the officer he shot. 

Wednesday, July 17,  Muskegon County prosecutor D-J Hilson joined Muskegon Heights police chief Joseph Thomas, and Lieutenant Chris McIntyre with Michigan State Police on Muskegon radio station 103.7 "The Beat."

The men thanked the community for helping them located Davis. They said during the live radio interview social media posts about Davis being shot in the face by police are not true. 

An injury to Davis' face was from officers forcing him to the ground after he ignored repeated orders to do so on his own.

"No taser, no guns, no batons, no force other than physical controls," said McIntyre.  "Just using their hands to get him on the ground and get him secured."

A viewer sent us this photo of Davis' arrest Tuesday afternoon.

Dayvon Davis Arrest
Tim DeSmit / WZZM 13

The original incident happened around 4 p.m. on July 6. Officers responded to East Park Manor apartments where Kooi was shot in the arm, and Davis was tracked to a residence on the 2300 block of Jarman Street.

RELATED: Standoff continues after Muskegon Heights police officer shot in arm 

On July 12, police offered a $2,000 reward for tips leading to Davis' arrest. The reward was originally $1,000.

Chief Thomas says Kooi, who has been on the force for two and a half years, can return to work in four months. 

RELATED: Reward increased for information leading to suspect who shot Muskegon Heights officer in the arm

►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.

Have a news tip? Email, visit our Facebook page or Twitter.