MUSKEGON, Mich. — Nearly 25 storage units were impacted in an early Friday morning fire at a Muskegon self-storage facility.
Around 5 a.m., a 911 caller who is also a renter at the business on East Laketon Avenue said she was in her rental unit when a candle ignited combustible materials.
When police and fire units arrived at the Muskegon Self Storage the largest of three storage buildings was engulfed. Two adjacent storage building received minor damage from the heat of the fire.
All told, the fire in the main storage unit impacted 24 of the 30 rental units. Firefighters believe they were able to protect belongings in six storage units that were the farthest from where the fire started.
The building has older construction type wood, has no fire stops, and does not have electricity.
Detectives were able to save security footage from multiple cameras and are now reviewing the footage.
Muskegon Fire Department Deputy Director Paulson Jay Paulson says there will be a joint fire and police investigation. The 37-year-old woman made it out of the storage unit on her own with only a minor injury.
Fire crews from Norton Shores, Muskegon Heights and Muskegon Township in North Muskegon assisted at the scene.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.