It's National Police Week, where numerous communities and law enforcement against honor fallen officers across the nation.
Today, Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer has ordered flags all over the state to be lowered to half staff in honor of those who lost their lives in the line of duty.
RELATED: GRPD honors fallen officers
It's also Peace Officers Memorial Day, which was established by Congress back in 1962 to recognize law enforcement officers. There will be an annual Peace Officers Memorial Day Service right here in West Michigan, at the Berrien County Law Enforcement Officer's Monument, located at Lake Bluff Park in St. Joseph. The event is hosted by the Fraternal Order of Police Blossomland Lodge #100.
The free event is open to the public and will honor 20 officers. Seventeen of the officers are listed on the monument with the other three being former long time members of the Berrien County Community. The event is open to the public.
Officers to be honored are:
- PATROLMAN CLARENCE SHOCKLEY, Niles City Police Department August 15, 1907
- TROOPER WILLIAM MARTZ, Michigan State Police Paw Paw Post March 12, 1925
- PATROLMAN FRANCIS LAMUNION, Saint Joseph City Police Department June 23, 1927
- PATROLMAN CHARLES SKELLEY, Saint Joseph City Police Department December 14, 1929
- PATROLMAN VANCE COOPER, Niles City Police Department March 4, 1937
- DEPUTY ELTON STOVER, Berrien County Sheriff Department December 10, 1965
- SERGEANT ROBERT STEVENS, Benton Township Police Department April 29, 1970
- TROOPER CHARLES STARK, Michigan State Police New Buffalo Post December 31, 1971
- TROOPER GARY RAMPY, Michigan State Police New Buffalo Post December 31, 1971
- TROOPER STEVEN DEVRIES, Michigan State Police Niles Post October 12, 1972
- DETECTIVE/CAPTAIN PAUL WINQUIST, Niles City Police Department November 11, 1980
- TROOPER ALLAN PETERSON, Michigan State Police Saint Joseph Post August 29, 1981
- TROOPER ROBERT MIHALIK, Michigan State Police Saint Joseph Post September 9, 1984
- PATROLMAN DONALD DEFORD, Lincoln Township Police Department March 14, 1988
- CHIEF KEITH MILLS, Saint Joseph Township Police Department October 18, 1988
- COURT SECURITY SUPERVISOR JOSEPH ZANGARO, Berrien County Trial Court July 11, 2016
- COURT OFFICER RONALD KIENZLE, Berrien County Trial Court July 11, 2016
Former residents serving outside of the area:
- OFFICER ROBERT POLMANTEER, Phoenix Police Department May 4, 1984
- SERGEANT JAMES FARAONE, Salt Lake City Police Department September, 18, 2001
- SPECIAL AGENT PAUL SORCE, Federal Bureau of Investigation, Detroit Michigan March 9, 2009
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.