On Saturday, Nov. 4, high school marching bands from around the state took part in the Michigan Competing Band Association.
In West Michigan, several schools took first place in their flights:
- Rockford Marching Band took first place for Flight I with a score of 94.025
- Jension Marching Band took first place for Flight II with a score of 93.025
- Godwin Heights took first place for Flight IV with a score of 91.325
Here are the results for other local schools that performed in the MCBA:
- Flight I--Grandville (7th), Hudsonville (11th)
- Flight II--Reeths Puffer (2nd), Northview (4th), Portage Northern (5th), Lakeview (11th)
- Flight II--Byron Center (3rd), Cedar Springs (7th), Fruitport (12th)
- Flight IV--Newaygo (2nd), Kent City (3rd), Belding (4th), Comstock Park (6th), Watervilet (7th), Grant (8th), Sparta (10th), Allegan (11th), Tri-County (12th)
The Rockford Marching Band also ended the day with the high score in the state for all flights.
Additionally, the Rockford Marching was one of only ten bands chosen from around the country to march in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade this year. According to the band's website, they are the third band in Michigan and the first from West Michigan to be chosen in all of parade history.
Check out the full list of the marching band's sponsors here.
The 2017 Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade is set for Thursday, Nov. 23 at 9 a.m.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the WZZM 13 app now.