x
Breaking News
More () »

Lenawee Co. officials ID 3 men who died from suspected carbon monoxide poisoning at Faster Horses Festival

Two other men remain in the hospital in critical condition. Police think a generator near their trailer may have been the cause.

BROOKLYN, Mich. — Three people are dead from carbon monoxide poisoning after police found them and two other men passed out in a travel trailer at the Faster Horses country music festival in Lenawee County, Michigan early on Saturday morning. 

On Monday, Lenawee County Sheriff’s Office investigators identified the deceased victims of the carbon monoxide exposure as Dawson Brown, 20, Michigan Center, Michigan; Kole Sova, 19, from Jackson, Michigan; and William Mays II, 20, also from Jackson, Michigan.

The surviving victims who are currently in critical condition as of Monday afternoon are identified as Rayfield Johnson, 20, from Jackson, Michigan; and Kurtis Stitt, 20, from Hesperia, Michigan.

Police were called to a campground near the music festival around 1:30 a.m. Saturday where they found the men, all in their 20s, all unresponsive.

Crews began administering CPR immediately. Three of the men were pronounced dead on the scene. The other two were rushed to the hospital in critical condition where they were treated for acute carbon monoxide poisoning. 

Police say a friend of the men called 911 when he was unable to get ahold of them. 

Police believe the incident may have stemmed from carbon monoxide from a generator that was "very near" the travel trailer. 

In a separate incident, Michigan State Police say they found a 30-year-old Michigan woman dead on Saturday morning at the festival.

Lenawee County Sheriff Troy Bevier confirmed the two incidents were unrelated. 

Bevier also says he couldn't remember a similar incident happening at events at the Speedway.

The Faster Horses Festival is a 3-day country music festival that takes place near the Michigan International Speedway on U.S. Highway 12. Approximately 50,000 people are in town for the event according to Sheriff Bevier.