GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — The Union High School community is mourning the loss of the junior varsity basketball coach.
Grand Rapids Public Schools confirmed Steven Lucas Jr. was the 29-year-old who died after being pulled from an Ottawa County Lake earlier this week.
Lucas, who lived in Kentwood, was trying to get a football that drifted about 25 yards into the water at 8th Avenue Community Park in Georgetown Township, according to police.
While swimming out to the ball, witnesses said he struggled and went under. Lucas was pulled out by bystanders. They tried to revive him before emergency responders arrived.
When crews did arrive they tried to resuscitate Lucas as well, but were not successful. He died Monday.
The Union basketball team shared Lucas' photo to Twitter the message "Rest Well Coach Lucas."
MORE on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- Tokyo Olympics must firm up $3.3 billion in sponsor income
- Blashill hopes to be in it for the long haul as Red Wings continue rebuild
- NASCAR driver Bubba Wallace reflects on 'an emotional few days'
- Judge denies American women's soccer immediate appeal after unequal pay decision
- 'We're back.' Detroit Tigers respond to return of baseball
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.