After a delayed start to the high school football season, teams are now facing a new hurdle: Eastern Equine Encephalitis.
Last week, the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services advised residents in 10 counties to reschedule evening activities due to spreading cases of EEE. The mosquito-borne virus is one of the most dangerous with a 33% fatality rate for those who develop symptoms.
Because of that, some high schools are moving their kickoff times to earlier in the day.
Here is a list of schools that have announced a change in time:
- Forest Hills Central vs. Grand Rapids Christian: 5 p.m.
- Ottawa Hills vs. Forest Hills Eastern: 6:30 p.m.
- Rockford vs. Jenison at 7 p.m.
- East Kentwood vs. Hudsonville at 5:30 p.m.
- Lowell vs. East Grand Rapids: 6 p.m.
- Sparta vs. Godwin Heights: 6 p.m.
Watch full highlights on 13 On Your Sidelines at 11:15 p.m. on Friday, Sept. 18.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.