GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - Earth Day is an annual event celebrated worldwide on April 22. Various events are held to help demonstrate support for environmental protection.
13 ON YOUR SIDE's Angela Cunningham caught up with the West Michigan Environmental Action Council to see what they had planned for the days leading up to and on Earth Day in West Michigan and how people can take small steps in protecting the earth.
On April 20, there will be a beach clean up at Grand Haven State Park starting at 9 a.m.
The council has partnered with the Holland Board of Public Works to help the community take action to manage stormwater and improve water quality. WMEAC is providing low-cost rain barrels and workshops on how to set them up. This is happening on April 22, all the details and ways to register for the workshops can be found here.
On April 23, the WMEAC is hosting a economic sustainability event at the Herrick District Library in Holland. There will be a panel of local business owners to discuss why and how they've created environmentally and socially responsibly business practices.
The WMEAC isn't the only organization hosting Earth Day events, and if you have children, you're likely looking for kid-friendly events that both fun and education. Here's a list of other events happening in the area:
- Earth Day Celebration at the Wittenbach/Wege Agri Science Center in Lowell from 9 a.m. until noon.
- Earth Day Celebration at Blandford Nature Center from noon until 3 p.m.
- Earth Day Celebration in Grandville from noon until 3 p.m.
- Earth Day Celebration at Fresh Thyme Farmers Market in Grand Rapids from noon until 3 p.m.
- RethinkGreen Earth Day Salvation Army sales from 9 a.m. until 9 p.m. at the Grand Rapids, Plainwell, Portage, Holland and Battle Creek locations.
- Super Dank Earth Day at both HopCat locations (downtown Grand Rapids and the Beltline) from 11 a.m. until midnight
- Earth Day Celebration at PADNOS in Holland from 8 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Kid to Kid Earth Day Sale from 10 a.m. until 8 p.m. at the Kentwood location in the Woodland Mall
- 2019 Earth Day 5K and 10K, a virtual race by Moon Joggers can take place anytime before April 22 (preferred but not required).
- HEP Earth Day Tour at the Holland Energy Park from 3 until 4:15 p.m.
- Stress management and a meditation class are happening at Metro Health in Wyoming.
- Earth Day yoga class at Lions & Rabbits from 6:30 until 7:30 p.m. Free with admission.
- Party for the Planet 2019 at the John Ball Zoo from 9 a.m. until 6 p.m.
- 7th annual Earth Fair Expo at the Muskegon Farmers Market from 10 a.m. until 2 p.m.
- Earth Day at the Lena Meijer Children's Garden from 1 until 4 p.m.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.