GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. — As the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) prepares for construction, a virtual public meeting will be held to discuss the projects coming to West Michigan in 2023.
The meeting is partially being held to prepare drivers for the construction they'll see across Michigan in the coming months. Participants will learn how to find updates on projects and other traffic information.
MDOT is also looking for public input on the projects.
Projects covered in the meeting add up to a $60 million investment for 2023 and include:
- Resurfacing I-96 from Cascade Road to M-11 (28th Street) with bridge improvements on Burton Street over I-96. (May – October)
- Pavement repairs and resurfacing on I-96 from west of Whitneyville Avenue to the Kent/Ionia county line. (July – November)
- Resurfacing M-21 (Fulton Street) from I-96 to Grand River Drive. (June - October)
- Building a new on ramp from M-21 to eastbound I-96 and constructing an interchange connection lane on eastbound I-96 from M-21 to Cascade Road. (June – August)
- Intersection realignment of M-40 and 48th Street in Hamilton, with signal upgrades at the M-40/136th Avenue intersection. (June -August)
- Rebuilding I-196 Business Loop (Byron Road) in Zeeland between 84th Avenue and I-196. (April - July)
- Rebuilding eastbound I-196 from Zeeland to Hudsonville. The westbound lanes were reconstructed last year. (April - November)
- Constructing an interchange connection lane on westbound I-196 from Market Avenue to M-11, plus bridge improvements at Chicago Drive. This project was primarily completed last year. Crews will finish paving and bridge work. (April – May)
The meeting is open to anyone who is interested, including commuters and business owners. Any comments, questions and concerns about the projects should be submitted to this form here or by e-mailing Monica Monsma at MonsmaM@michigan.gov.
The meeting is happening on Microsoft Teams from 5-5:30 p.m. Tuesday. To find the link to join, click here.
MDOT will also be sharing up-to-date traffic information throughout the state here as well as on social media.
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.