GRAND RAPIDS, Mich — Michigan Auto Law has posted its annual list of the state’s most dangerous intersections based on police car accident report data for 2019 and an intersection in West Michigan has made the list.
Michigan Auto Law says the intersection of US-131 and Wealthy Street SE in Grand Rapids is the 8th most dangerous in the state. According to the data, 123 total crashes and 18 people were injured in the area.
While overall Michigan saw a decrease in injuries from car crashes when comparing a full year of reports in 2019 to 2018, the total number of accidents and fatalities were higher in 2019 than in 2018, according to the data.
“Our goal is driver safety,” says Steven Gursten, president of Michigan Auto Law. “We give drivers this information so they can plan alternative routes if possible, and to be aware of the extra caution needed when driving in these areas.”
Gursten adds that the coronavirus pandemic has lightened the traffic on our roads, leading to a false sense of security for many drivers. “Many think it’s safer due to less traffic but unfortunately many people are taking advantage of the open roads and speeding, or become more easily distracted. Be careful out there.”
The Top 20 Most Dangerous Intersections in Michigan for 2019 are:
- 18 1/2 MILE RD @ VAN DYKE AVE, Sterling Heights, 229 Total Crashes, 14 Injuries
- SCHOOLCRAFT RD @ TELEGRAPH RD, Redford Twp., 210 Total Crashes, 41 Injuries
- ORCHARD LAKE RD @ 14 MILE RD, Farmington Hills/West Bloomfield, 178 Total Crashes, 22 Injuries
- M 5/MARTIN PKWY @ N PONTIAC TRAIL, Commerce Twp., 161 Total Crashes, 12 Injuries
- STATE RD @ W ELLSWORTH RD, Pittsfield Twp./Ann Arbor, 154 Total Crashes, 8 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD/I 696 @ VAN DYKE AVE, Center Line, 129 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ 12 MILE RD, Southfield, 128 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- US 131 @ WEALTHY ST, Grand Rapids, 123 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- I 75 @ BIG BEAVER RD, Troy, 113 Total Crashes, 17 Injuries
- FORD RD @ HAGGERTY RD, Canton Twp., 101 Total Crashes, 35 Injuries
- HALL RD @ SCHOENHERR RD, Shelby Twp., 96 Total Crashes, 16 Injuries
- 23 MILE RD @ I 94, Chesterfield Twp., 94 Total Crashes, 24 Injuries
- 11 MILE RD @ GRATIOT AVE E, Roseville, 94 Total Crashes, 23 Injuries
- SOUTHFIELD RD @ W 11 MILE RD, Lathrup Village, 93 Total Crashes, 31 Injuries
- FORD RD @ MERCURY DR, Dearborn, 91 Total Crashes, 30 Injuries
- HALL RD @ ROMEO PLANK RD, Clinton Twp., 86 Total Crashes, 27 Injuries
- FORD RD @ LILLEY RD, Canton Twp., 80 Total Crashes, 20 Injuries
- DIXIE HWY @ I 75, Springfield Twp., 79 Total Crashes, 13 Injuries
- DIX AVE @ M 39, Lincoln Park, 78 Total Crashes, 18 Injuries
- TELEGRAPH RD @ SQUARE LAKE RD, Bloomfield Twp., 78 Total Crashes, 15 Injuries
– Source: Michigan State Police Traffic Crash Reporting Unit (Note: “Intersection” is defined as any road with a traffic signal, four-way stop or roundabout. The numbers include any reported crash that occurred within 250 feet of an intersection, including turnarounds and on/off ramps to highways.)
Read more about Michigan’s Most Dangerous Intersections. Find a list of intersection car crashes that can be searched by any Michigan city or county.
MORE on 13 ON YOUR SIDE:
- Grand Rapids to Chicago Amtrak services return
- Police: Man driving wrong way on I-96 had child in vehicle
- American Airlines will book flights to full capacity
- Ford airport loses 55 jobs due to economic impact of coronavirus on travel
- Woman gets jail for alcohol-involved crash with ambulance that injured medic
►Make it easy to keep up to date with more stories like this. Download the 13 ON YOUR SIDE app now.